This GSEB Class 8 Maths Notes Chapter 2 Linear Equations in One Variable covers all the important topics and concepts as mentioned in the chapter.
Linear Equations in One Variable Class 8 GSEB Notes
An equation is an equality involving variables and it has an equality sign ( = ).
The expression on the left of the equality sign is the Left Hand Side (LHS) and the expression on the right of the equality sign is the Right Hand Side (RHS).
A linear equation is an equation of a straight line, written in one variable.
Solutions of the Equation:
In an equation, the values of the expression on the LHS and RHS are equal. This happens to be true only for certain values of the variables. These values are the solutions of the equation.
When any term of the equation is shifted from one side of the equation to the other side, then the sign of the term changes. This is known as ‘transposition’.
The changes that take place are :
- Addition changes to subtraction.
- Subtraction changes to addition.
- Multiplication changes to division.
- Division changes to multiplication.
How to solve given word problem:
- Read the problem carefully.
- Note. what is given and what Is required. Denote the unknown quantity by some letters like x. y. z, … etc.
- Translate the statements of the problem Into mathematical statements.
- Solve the equation for the unknown.